Sunday, January 9, 2011

Homecoming Queen


So I have unpacked (well, almost everything), done four loads of washing, spent time in the garden, napped and acclimatised, but until I'd stocked the fridge and started cooking, I knew it wouldn't really felt like I was "home". I thought my boyfriend would appreciate some fresh produce on his return, so I set to work on a menu.

I baked a vanilla sponge cake with tart lemon icing for tea when his mom dropped him off from the airport. For lunch, we had spicy chourizo and chickpea soup with crispy baguette. A dinner approached, the apartment was filled with the smell of roast chicken and garlic, and buttery roast potatoes. I made the asparagus pictured, drizzled with olive oil, topped with a soft poached egg and sprinkled with Parmesan for starters. A subtle, light taste combination that I highly recommend. The garlic roast chicken was served on a bed of leeks with the roast potatoes and accompanied by a chilled glass of chardonnay. The perfect way to conclude a hot summer day and a happy holiday. Back to work tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment